Sunday 25 September 2011

Technology

Isn't it great? Well the answer is yes most of the time but if you depend on it and it does not work then it is a real pain in the rear. Because I am partially deaf I have to use a hearing aid so I am dependent on it, so there is always the worry of the battery dying when I'm out and about, it is rather surreal when you are walking along and suddenly its like someone is turning the volume down slowly. Its  even more worrying if you realise that you have forgotten to change it and then you hope that it will hold out until you can change it.

What's more annoying than the very occasional dead battery is the constant need to improve things. I use a radio mic system in order to hear the lecturer more clearly and have used the same one from primary school to high school. But last year I was told that if the university was going to supply a system it would have to be an upgrade as the one I had wasn't being made any more and if it broke the parts to fix it would not be available. What a lot of hassle it turned out to be, needed a new receiver, couldn't figure out how to work it properly, it wouldn't work etc. etc. So last year at uni I had just used my old system as it was a lot easier to use and it actually worked but of course the night before I go back to uni I check that its working only to find out that the mic cable has split open...Thankfully between today and yesterday it has decided that the new system will work but we shall see.

Lets compare the two systems shall we:
Old system:

  • On/off switch
  • Low battery indicator
  • Requires one AA battery usually lasts more than a week
  • Small and light, clip is built in
  • Mic cable is removable, just need to remove it and plug in audio cable for music
New system:
  • On/off switch
  • Mic mute button
  • Synch function
  • Monitor function
  • Menus with settings
  • 3 level battery indicator
  • Requires to be plugged in to charge
  • Clip is removable but is very bulky
  • Mic is much larger, removable but only with a lot more effort
  • Has settings for audio devices which include general and ipod nano...and both don't seem to work properly with my mp3 player
Yes the new system has more features and is apparently an improvement, I just can't understand why people should be forced to upgrade when the old system works so well and they are used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment