Monday 29 August 2011

Pride

One of the things about having a condition such as TCS or something else which means that you are at a disadvantage compared to the average person is that you have to learn when to accept help when it is offered. This can be very hard for some people including myself, it wasn't until my final year of high school that I finally accepted what I had been offered all along which was to do my exams away from the main exam hall and with some extra time. It was only with a lot of persuasion and my chemistry teacher calling me a fool (because anyone else would take it) that I finally gave in. The same for my first year at uni, I was very sceptical about their offer of a note taker amongst other things but as I've been told many times things like that are put in place to level the playing field and even if  I don't use the note taker's notes every time they act as a very useful safety net.

But on the other hand I do not like people who actively look for "freebies" just because they have something wrong with them. I read an article in which a deaf person described how they got free tickets to a show or something because they said to the manager that they were deaf, I think this is totally inappropriate and this behaviour should not be encouraged. I'm all for equality but not to an extent where people abuse the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment