Friday 8 July 2011

Stop and stare

Or rather don't.

One of the worst things that can happen to you if you have a physical feature that stands out is being stared at. It is something that can and at times does ruin a day out. Children are the worst culprits, it is fine if they are just curious I guess but some are very persistent and that's when it starts to really get annoying. What's even more annoying is that if the parents if they are about don't do anything about it. I've had some experiences where children have been extremely rude in their staring and their parents have completely ignored them.

What's worse than children staring at you/making a comment, people that should know better where it be older kids/teenagers/adults. One experience I had last year was this younger guy actually laughing whilst looking directly at me, no shame whatsoever, I hurried on due to embarrassment but my mum gave him a real earful so maybe next time he will think.

This is another problem with treacher collins syndrome in the fact that if your speech is affected then its hard to make a comeback or speak your mind and so you can't really do anything other than ignore them which is probably advised.

It is obviously easier when you are with friends/family but the fact is people need to be better educated, we have the right to go about our business like a normal person without being embarrassed or humiliated. I understand children will be children but their parents need to teach them manners. I've read some peoples comments that they would rather people came up and asked them about their condition but I would not be one of those people.

No comments:

Post a Comment