Saturday 2 July 2011

First year at university

So I'm currently enjoying my long summer holidays after a packed first year at university. Have to say it went probably better than I expected. I was rather nervous for obvious reasons I had left the comfort and familiarity of high school behind and this was a new start. Its a nervous enough time for most people but obviously I had the added burden of TCS.

I had one friend from school doing almost exactly the same course so I was lucky in that respect. I didn't enjoy first week at all, talk about information overload, I really think they need to make it easier for people to settle in rather than telling them all this information only for it to become clear that most of it you did not need to worry about. It was also annoying having to start again with new lecturers giving them my mic system and trying to explain to them how to use it.

The week did not end well, my throat decided to tighten to the point where I could barely drink. Several throat infections later and many many months down the line I am still having trouble although the doctors don't have a clue why but its far less severe than when it first started. Note this as far as I'm aware has nothing to do with TCS.

This is all the doom and gloom out of the way though. I found most if not all lecturers to be friendly and competent enough with the mic system. My fellow students that I spoke to were also friendly and I began carrying a notebook in case anyone couldn't understand what I was saying. It was refreshing that like at school no one really seemed to take any particular notice to me, I cannot remember one instance of someone staring.

One of the first things we did was to be set a group project in one of the modules and this was when I met one of my first new friends. Things got better from then, after a rough first couple of weeks (due to being sick) I began to settle into a rhythm, I became more confident in practicals and really enjoyed some of the lectures I had.

Christmas came and went and I was extremely happy with my exam results. Second half of the year was even better and I made more new friends, I'm happy to be part of a group of friends now and we all sit together in lectures.

I managed to survive a 3 day field course and managed to pass all my exams and now here I am writing this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment