Sunday 5 July 2015

In praise of Worm, a web serial

I haven't been reading as much as I used to but I came across this free web serial called Worm several weeks ago and despite its hefty length (roughly 26 typical novels according to the author) I have finished it. It is set in a world where superheroes and supervillians are common but it is much less black and white than your typical superhuman story and it is definitely not suitable for kids. There is a large cast of characters but it mainly focuses on a teenage girl named Taylor. She has developed the ability to control insects and decides she wants to become a hero but after a run in with a notorious local villian she is mistaken for a villain herself setting her down an exciting but dangerous path. The author really builds up the mythology behind this world, the government sponsored heroes, the villains, a super prison for people with powers, a gang called the slaughterhouse nine, other high level threats and of course the endbringers....There are huge battles, monsters, robots, artificial intelligences, clones, parallel worlds and conspiracies. While much as I love comic books and superheroes I have't actually read or watched that many in the whole scheme of things but that said I think the author comes up with some really cool ideas regarding powers and different ways they are used. I also liked the fact that in each chapter focusing on a story arc there are also interlude chapters which focus on events happening elsewhere or the background of certain characters. All in all the best thing that I can say is that it kept me wanting more, I probably read it too quickly as I enjoyed it so much. According to his website he will hopefully edit the story, trim the fat, basically make the best version possible before publishing it in which case I will definitely buy it.

Worm-a web serial, table of contents


No comments:

Post a Comment