Monday 3 February 2014

Is it too much to ask?

Right this is yet another bit of a rant about technology. I can't remember if I have talked about this before but since I take my hearing aid off at night I can't really use a conventional alarm clock instead I use one with a pad that vibrates under my pillow to wake me up. This is all fine and dandy and it works pretty well, the problem is that it is seemingly designed for people with poor vision as well. This means that it has quite a large screen to show the time(it looks like a conventional alarm clock but is connected by a cable to a round pad which goes under the pillow), this wouldn't bother me if not for the fact that it is extremely bright even on the dim setting. I've had to resort to putting it face down on my bedside table otherwise my room is partially lit up in a green glow that makes it hard to sleep. Just makes you wonder why nobody thought to install an off switch for the light.

An even more illogical piece of technology I've come across is a doorbell which is for deaf or partially deaf people....which makes no sound. Now I understand why that might make sense for someone who lives alone and who is deaf but for someone who lives with other people who aren't deaf then it is pretty stupid. I first found this out when we got a new smoke alarm which works normally but also is connected wirelessly to this remote device which is connected to another round pad under my bed. This means that if the smoke alarm goes off the pad should vibrate and wake me up. This system can also be connected to baby alarms and door bells which is how we found out that we couldn't get a dual function doorbell. The problem is that I can hear the doorbell fine when i'm awake and have my hearing aid on but if we got the doorbell then I or whoever is in the house would have to make sure to carry the remote thing around with them. Also I don't know what it is with these devices and stupidly bright lights but the holder for the device/remote has a light on it as well which makes sense as it shows you that it is connected properly but I've had to put a piece of blu-tack over it as it was so distracting.

Spock agrees with my assesment


No comments:

Post a Comment